This recipe was brought to me via Pinterest, but originated at Closet Cooking.
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
|photo by Closet Cooking|
Makes 1 sandwich
- 1/4 cup cooked shredded chicken, warm
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon mayo (optional)
- 1 tablespoon carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon green or red onion, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon blue cheese, room temperature, crumbled
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, room temperature, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter.
- Mix the chicken, hot sauce, mayo, carrot, celery and onion in a small bowl.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheeses on the inside of one slice of bread, top with the buffalo chicken salad, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
That is the original recipe. Here’s what I did. I had TONS of leftovers from the Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken so, naturally, this recipe caught my eye. I didn’t realize she had her own recipe for the chicken, but the rest was perfect for a Round 2 recipe.
I was a little short on time tonight, so I didn’t make it traditional grilled cheese-style. Instead I used my toaster oven. If you use this method, realize that the cheese will not hold the sandwich together, unless you use A LOT of cheese.
I also didn’t add the celery onions, but then again, anything is optional! I did use my zester to grate some carrots over the chicken and I only used one layer of bleu cheese, but it worked.
The kids (and Mommy, too) give this two thumbs up and a “more please”!