These turned out much better than dinner, even if I couldn’t make the frosting (not enough powdered sugar, damn it!).
Let the deliciousness begin!
Cream Cheese Brownies
Preheat oven to 350°F
- 1 C butter, softened
- 2 C sugar
- 4 eggs
- 8 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 C flour
- dash of salt
- Cream together butter and sugar. Take the time to make sure it’s really creamy – it makes all the difference in the world. Add the eggs and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa and salt. Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture and mix until well combined. (Don’t eat too much of the raw batter, even though it’s oh so tempting – you will regret it, like I was earlier)
- After greasing a 9×13 pan, pour approx. 2/3 of the batter into the bottom and spread it out till it covers the bottom.
Cream Cheese Batter:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- Beat the cream cheese until it’s nice and smooth. (The smooth part is imperative – it does make a difference, believe me)
- Add sugar, egg, vanilla and salt ad mix to combine.
- Pour mixture over brownie batter; spread it out
- Take the rest of the brownie batter (you remembered to only use 2/3 of it, right?) and put it in dollops over the cream cheese; spread it out, just a little – not too much, ’cause you are going to marble the two layers with a knife.
When that is done, place in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick (or whatever) comes out clean. Let them cool completely before frosting. (Mine did not have frosting, but I bet it’s even more heavenly!)
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 C cocoa
- 4 – 6 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 C powdered sugar
- Melt butter; add cocoa to make a paste and stir until smooth
- Pour 2 tbsp of the milk in and stir until smooth
- In a large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, the chocolate paste you just made, the vanilla and 2 tbsp milk. Mix together. Add more milk until smooth and glossy. If it becomes too runny, add a little powdered sugar until it’s just right.
- Spread on cooled brownies.
Dig in. They are divine!