Okay, here’s the low down before we get down. This was a HUGE hit with my family. The boys said “best ever” and The Big Guy went back for seconds, but may have overdone it. I asked him if his eyes were bigger than his stomach – he said no, my taste buds!
With that in mind, I’ll tell you what I would change AFTER you’ve seen the recipe, so there’s no spoilers!
|from my webcam (again)|
Tons of layers here, so stay with me.
- 1 bag Egg Noodles (doesn’t say what size)
- 1 XL jar of your favorite tomato sauce or pizza sauce (I recommend something bigger than 24 oz – it looks like she used a 2 pounder)
- 3 cups (24 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese (I just eyeballed it)
- 1 1/2 lb ground hamburger
- 1 package pepperoni
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Your first steps are to cook the noodles according to the package and drain; thoroughly cook the hamburger; drain fat/grease if you want (I didn’t). After that, it’s all LAYERS!
Layer 1: thin covering of tomato sauce on bottom of casserole dish.
Layer 2: 1/2 the noodles
Layer 3: 1/2 the meat
Layer 4: 1/2 remaining sauce
Layer 5: other 1/2 of noodles
Layer 6: 1/2 the cheese (1 1/2 cups)
Layer 7: remaining 1/2 of meat
Layer 8: remaining sauce
Layer 9: remaining 1/2 of cheese
Layer 10: cover the whole dish with pepperoni
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving – to let things settle
Now, as I said, there are a few things I’d like to change the next time I make this dish:
First off, I think the bag of Egg Noodles I bought was too much (16 oz). If I can find one that is a little less, I’m going to jump on it.
Second – and I don’t have a thing against using hamburger meat – I would definitely use sausage in it’s place. It would take the casserole to a whole new level of flavor.
Lastly, I’d also add another kind of cheese mixed with the mozzarella, something with a bolder taste. I’ll let you know when I figure that out.
Enjoy! It’s the new “pizza night”.