I really should have called this blog “Adventures in Cooking”, but it was already taken. I may have over-estimated my ability to wing it with this recipe. I’ll have to work on that.
That being said, just because it doesn’t look good, doesn’t mean it tastes bad. It still got a thumbs up from everyone who ate it, including my 22 year old nephew (with the two hollow legs).
I have to make this one quick. Little Sasquatch came in and I’ve seen more of his knee than I needed, so we’re waiting for a pick up and possible trip to the hospital. Yay.
Slow Cooker Mac n Cheese
- 1 lb (16 oz) macaroni
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I used shredded and this may be part of what went wrong)
- 1 egg, beaten (the original recipe did not say to beat the egg, but it seemed like the right move)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 10 3/4 oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup (I used the fiesta nacho cheese soup I had on hand)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Cook pasta for 3-6 minutes; drain (I cooked for 3 minutes and the pasta came out fine)
- In a medium saucepan, melt and mix butter and cheese (it clumped on me, so I added the cheese soup to the mix – another thing that might have gone wrong)
- Add pasta, cheese mix and all other ingredients into your slow cooker
- Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours, stirring hourly (another thing I did wrong – I didn’t stir)
- Garnish with cheese, if desired
I also recommend spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray, just in case.
That’s it! Perfect timing… The Big Guy just pulled up and is playing doctor. Have a great night!