Tomorrow is Quesadilla‘s birthday! She’ll be a whopping 9 years of age. It’s crazy how time flies.
Since her birthday falls on a Monday and the kids are still in school, we got to celebrate a day early… which meant a full day in the kitchen for me, with 3 things to make and only one large mixing bowl to do them with! So here is what we had for dinner, by her majesty’s request:
Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
|photo by Lick The Bowl Good|
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- pinch of salt (optional)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cubed pepperoni
- 1/2 cup store-bought pizza sauce (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes (if using) ; whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, microwave the pizza sauce until warmed through. Serve the puffs with the pizza sauce for dipping (optional)
I followed the original recipe to a tee… except for the cubed pepperoni. Apparently we couldn’t find cubed pepperoni and didn’t want to take the time to slice and dice a whole sausage, so we bought the next best thing – miniature pepperoni slices! Plus I made a double batch, ’cause we were expecting more people, so I filled the 24 small muffins, plus had enough to make 9 regular size muffins.
Bigfoot said “they are AMAZING” and the Quesadilla and Little Sasquatch couldn’t thank me enough. The Big Guy said I should definitely make them again. So another win for us!