Here I am again and this time I’m armed with cheesy goodness! I have provided you with the original recipe (found here). I did not follow the recipe exactly. As I’ve mentioned before, I really enjoy making my own shredded meats (now that I know how!) in the slow cooker.
So, in place of the chopped chicken and wing sauce, I made a bunch of Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken, a day or 2 before. However, I didn’t have that much chicken or a Ranch dressing packet, so when I put in the chicken, I added more buffalo sauce than necessary and squeezed in some ranch dressing that was in the fridge. Other than that, I followed the recipe!
Buffalo Chicken Mac n Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (1 oz)
- 1/4 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- Heat oven to 425°F. Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package, using minimum cook time.
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour and mustard with whisk; cook and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute until mixture is hot and bubbly. Add Cheddar cheese; stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Season with salt.
- Gently stir cooked macaroni into cheese sauce. Stir in chicken. Spoon into ungreased 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish. Sprinkle celery and blue cheese over macaroni mixture. Drizzle with Buffalo wing sauce.
- Bake uncovered 5 to 10 minutes or until bubbly and blue cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
It’s really yummy. Just enough kick to keep it interesting, with the tangy coolness of the blue cheese and the tiny crunch of celery. To die for!