I’ve been slacking since the end of Halloween. I think I’m trying to conserve energy for the hosting of Thanksgiving. I always look forward to having my in-laws over and my oldest nephew, since he lives nearby now. That has me delegating tasks and cooking for 8 people on average!
I made this in October, but with all the things I had on my plate, I thought I’d save this recipe for later. I find that making homemade mac n cheese is not only easy, but a huge hit in my house! So over the course of my posts, you may find an abundance of mac n cheeses, ’cause the flavor combos are endless!
Two Cheese Bacon Penne
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cheese, cheddar
- 1 cup Parmesan, shredded + more for top
- 1 16 oz pkg uncooked small penne
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 6 slices of bacon, in pieces
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cook bacon in small skillet until done; set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1 tbsp butter; add bread crumbs and mix well; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk to boil; turn burner off.
- Using a high-sided skillet, melt remaining butter; when it begins to bubble, add flour and stir constantly. Add heated milk slowly to skillet, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Add cheeses, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg; stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, start boiling water for penne; cook according to directions on box, cooking just under recommended time. Drain; add pasta and bacon to skillet; fold together until fully incorporated.
- Pour into greased 8×8 pan, top with shredded Parmesan (to taste) and bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
I hope you enjoy! Having food on the table is something I’m thankful for every day. 🙂